Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Armor of God Bear

Little 7 year old Thomas Roy had received a bear called the "Armor of God Bear" for Christmas. The bear is designed to teach children about the armor of God spoken of in Ephesians. It is a stuffed bear, with a shield, sword, etc--full armor.
When Thomas' dad went into the house the day after the fire, searching for anything salvageable, he found the bear and took it to Thomas, who was very happy to see his beloved bear, scorched and sooty, but with armor undamaged and intact.
Thomas looked it over and said to Shelly, "Mom, I know that it will take a lot of cleaning, and Armor of God Bear will always smell bad, but could we build a glass case to keep him in to remind us of what God did for us?".
Well, you can imagine this grammy's reaction when I heard that. I cried, of course. To think that such a little boy, who KNOWS that it was God who woke him up in the night, recognizes God's hand so clearly is indeed a blessing beyond what I can express.
While these children are traumatized by the fire, they are nevertheless learning lessons about God's protection and faithfulness that will impact them for life.
Amazing Grace, indeed!
Love you all, Jan

3 comments:

  1. Dear Thomas,
    I'm thankful your Armor Bear is still going to have a place in your home. God allows us to have those little gifts to help us "remember to remember" Him and all of His goodness. I tried to post to your blogspot this weekend and the computer I was on wouldn't let me in. I've been praying for you and for your family since the fire. I am looking forward to being in Dillingham soon. Take care and let your family know they are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Sincerely, Debbie Merrill

    ReplyDelete
  2. We heard of this tragic event the morning it happened and thought of you all most of the day. Dillingham has never let us down - fine people, big hearts and we're happy to hear of all the support to you all. We send our prayers to all.

    Rocky, Cindy and RoxAnn Roque
    Seattle, WA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas really is a special boy :) I know he's going to be the gentleman of gentlemen someday. It is wonderful all the little treasures that were recovered among the soot and flames; I think God is reminding us all that He never truly leaves us with nothing. The most important thing, of course, is that you're all safe and okay. I thank God every day that you're all okay, and that you escaped the flames safely. God had you in His hands then, and He has you now, during the long days ahead. Whenever you feel despair, and alone, remember that He's pulled you from the very mouth of danger because of His great love for you. You've all been very brave, and I'm proud of each and every one of you, especially the children. I'm here for you whenever you need me, so don't be afraid to ask the world of me. Hug Alyssa for me, and tell Thomas thank you. You're in my heart, and in my prayers.
    lots of love,

    ~Kyle Hardin

    ReplyDelete